Tree Books

https://gignouxart.com/

My classmates and I made tree books at school. Our tree books are pieces of decorated paper, card stock, and cardboard. We worked with a local artist called Peg Gignoux, I put a link to her website at the top of my post. There were also small pockets containing things we wrote.

The first thing we did to made them was use a stencil to print words in ink onto a thick cardboard card stock and painted these big pieces of thin card stock blue. Then we folded the blue paper and cut the thick card stock into tree shapes and glued it onto the blue paper forming a book.

We then decorated it with shapes we cut of papers we painted with akua ink and pressed with plants. After that we added little pockets all around our books.

In the pockets, we put a poem we wrote about things that we took for granted before COVID and a list of things we wanted to do one day. We also added a paper we wrote about someone in our family and we put in a wish that we had too. My wish was “I wish for everybody to be happy and healthy.”

I loved working on this project. I had done collage before but I never had used akua before. Once we had finished we had then displayed in an art museum (which was super cool) and we read Wishtree by Katherine Applegate because it matched with the theme of trees. I showed my family my tree book after I had finished, they really liked it.